Key Qualities Valued by Employers
how do you rate yourself ?
Being a good employee goes beyond being smart and talented. There are so many qualities employers and human resource managers are constantly on a look out for when recruiting a new employee for their organizations.
How do you stack up?
As an employee or an applicant, understanding these unique employee traits can help improve your chances of promotion and success at the workplace. Here are the top qualities valued by employees. Rate yourself on a scale of 1-5. If you get a score of 36 or less, you may want to seek out resources to improve in these key areas.
- Good Communication: Good communication is very important in the workplace. Employees who communicate well are those who listen attentively, understand the message before responding. They also know that inappropriate communication can lead to misunderstanding within and outside the organization. (score__)
- Positive Attitude: Employees with a positive attitude to work do not moan at menial tasks; instead, they accept constructive criticism with a smile on their faces. They have happy behaviors that are contagious and always optimistic about getting their works done on time. (score__)
- Flexible and Adaptable: Employees who are flexible and adaptable are willing to move from one task, setting, or location to the other at ease. They possess the emotional intelligence that helps them adapt to situations at all times. (score__)
- Strives for Excellence: All organizations need employees who strive for excellence. They have the right skill and experience needed to ensure that all members of their teams deliver nothing but outstanding results. (score__)
- Good Work Ethic: In today’s workplace that is filled with so many distractions, finding employees with good work ethics tend to be difficult. However, employees who have the right work ethics know when to block distractions on their jobs. (score__)
- Accepts Responsibility: Great employees are those ready to accept responsibilities for their actions and apologize for their wrongdoings without taking offense. (score__)
- Produces High Quality: Exceptional employees are not just ready to meet target; they also ensure that they deliver an in-depth result with great quality. (score__)
- Produces High Quantity: Good employees are not just after the quality of their projects; they also ensure that they achieve more in terms of quantity. (score__)
- Highly Reliable: Highly reliable Employees are honest people who are willing to admit their mistake, follow instructions, show up to work on time, and stick to deadlines. (score__)
- Eager to learn: Employees who are eager to learn are enthusiastic and ambitious people that strive for success. They build a great working environment that inspires new ideas and ensures that co-workers are engaged. (score__)
- Ability to Problem Solve: Problem-solving skill is one of the great qualities all employees must possess. Employees who possess these skill set goals for themselves, aspire to learn, follow instructions, and work towards producing excellent results only. (score__)
- Takes Initiative Creative: All employees need to be creative and think outside the box when carrying out some task in order to ensure that they achieve great results. (score__)
- Resourceful & Enjoys reading: Employees who enjoy reading are valued at the workplace because they are knowledgeable and have ideas to contribute to ensuring their organization attains its full potential. These types of employees are interested in self-growth. (score__)
- High energy stamina: Although not all employees have the same energy stamina, the best type of employees are those that speak in a way which makes people around them feel comfortable no matter their job title or role. (score__)
- Accurate: Accuracy is also another important quality every employee must possess. Employees who have eyes for details deliver nothing but accurate results and avoid unnecessary errors. (score__)
- Attentive to details: Attention to details is also an important quality all employees must possess. Employees who take pride in their job place lots of consideration on their daily task and pay the right attention to details. (score__)
- Punctual Good Attendance: Good employees show up at work on time, they incorporate extra time in their schedule in case they run into delays. (score__)
- Works well with others: Exceptional employees are team players who work with others at ease. They have the patience; social skill and tolerance needed to ensure people around them are comfortable. They also nurture good relationships with their team members and are willing to learn from each other. (score__)
Total Score: ___________
Employees interested in self-development must be willing to carry out a critical assessment of how well they are performing at work using the qualities employers value. How did you do rating yourself? Were you honest? This will help discover areas you can improve on to increase your chances of promotion and success on the job.